Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day 2 of No Refined Sugar



I may have been overreaching to think I could get up so early and make all of these fabulous breakfast items. We started off by being quite lethargic, and tired (is that the same thing?).
I put that goat yogurt in bowls for Carson and Madeline and topped it with the granola. They hated it. Madeline gave me the stink eye and splashed around in it and Carson basically told me he'd rather be put to bed than eat it! I should have known better! They would have loved it plain.

Lesson learned!

We watched a movie and it was showing a kid eating buttered bread and Carson started chanting for BREAD BREAD BREAD. The problem is, I don't have any bread without added sugar. There's a recipe provided by HFFG that I'm going to try tomorrow. Carson was hungry but refused to eat anything I offered. He's going to have to learn how to adjust like everyone else in the house!

Negative side affects: 
Kids having diarrhea from too much fruit, but it doesn't take much and it never really has. They have a sweet tooth and I've always had what I thought were healthier versions of sweet foods laying around and snacks to munch on. But I haven't felt comfortable having snacks yesterday and today. If I can get used to what we're doing, then I can build up a stash of munchies and easier to grab foods. Consequently, I put them in disposable diapers when this happens and it ends up costing a lot (but I have such a hard time getting the diapers stripped so I'd rather just disposable diaper). Plus, Madeline is getting some more teeth in, so that doesn't help!

Canker Sores- I expected them, but I didn't know that Sehara and Carson would get them, too. Actually, they aren't really caused by the fruits and vegetables(the acid in the them), they only happen now when I get a cut in my mouth (bite myself or sharp food) and then the acid goes to town on it. They will lessen when we get more creative with food and add things.


I think what would have been nice to be provided with a grocery list. I know that sounds silly and can get complicated because what if you don't like something on there or are allergic, but I have no clue where to start looking for food or what food to buy! Just a little step in the right direction, you know? I see all this information and it's a lot to process. I mean, I like a lot of information, but maybe at some point there should be some steps broken down. This is where you start. Start by getting these basic things, make these recipes (closer to what you're used to, but still healthy and in the guidelines so people won't get scared and fail), continue on with adding these, etc. and so forth. 

Here's what I have bought so far (that I bought specifically for this, some I would have bought anyway and others I wouldn't have or wanted to and just wouldn't have gotten to):
-Rolled Oats. I had no clue what it meant to buy them "rolled" so I got what I usually got and turns out it's already rolled for me (ha!) and the only ingredient was 100% rolled oats- Quaker at Kroger
-Raw Honey, scary looking and I don't know how to use it
-Real Honey with Honey as the only ingredient, not local but I just learned where to get some of that so that's what I'm going to do
-Real Maple Syrup, Linda's husband makes it
-Coconut Oil, already had it, but I think I don't have the right kind(I need Unrefined Coconut Oil)
-Olive Oil
-Pineapple
-Cantaloupe
-Apples
-Onions
-Fresh Garlic
-Tomatoes
-Quinoa
-Stevia, without Maltodextrin (be careful! I saw three options at Kroger with THE SAME LABEL and two of the had maltodextrin added, one didn't)
-Unsweetened Cocoa (baking) powder
-Goat Yogurt 
-Real orange Juice, literally orange juice
-Filtered Water
-Coconut Water
-Kale
-Collard Greens (fresh)
-Summer Squash
-Big Carrots
-Celery
-Mushrooms
-Sea Salt

Need to Get:
-Almond Butter
-Almond Flour
-Active Dry or Instant Yeast
-Vital Wheat Gluten(I don't even know what this is)
-Flour(white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry)
-Zucchini
-Dates, pitted
-Bananas
-Plain Yogurt
-Goat Yogurt
-Nuts
-Ground Ginger
-Shredded unsweetened coconut

I have a much more in depth one I don't mind sharing.


Overflowing Kale Pre Chipped

Breakfast: Yogurt and granola
Lunch: Spaghetti with carrot and tomato sauce (added mushrooms, onions, fresh garlic, basil, oregano and parsley) Side of sliced summer squash, sliced long carrots and mushrooms.
Dinner: Leftovers
Snacks: Apples, Amazing shake made with frozen bananas, vanilla, coconut water, ice, orange juice and 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder. Yummy.

My face looks skinnier today. I wasn't expecting that! Nice surprise.

I learned from a Healthy Family For God resource packet, concerning flour, that if the label doesn't say "whole" like "whole wheat" or "whole semolina", but rather says "enriched" or just "wheat" or unbleached, then it's processed. I knew about the enriched part, but I didn't know it HAS to say "whole".

Learn something new everyday!

No comments: