Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day 3 No Refined Sugar Challenge


Day 3 didn't start off the way I want (are you starting to see a trend?) Madeline had a fever and was uncomfortable all early morning. I wrestled with debating whether to take them to swim classes anyway (it was the first one) because I'm pretty sure it's just because of teething. Then I thought I could just put her in child watch instead of the water so Carson could still have his lesson and well, that was selfish in case she really was sick. In the end, I decided not to go and missed the play date too.

The kids were STARVING. Not really, you know what I mean. We started out with pancakes, the recipe that HFFG provided. Not that I followed the recipe completely. I just dumped ingredients in a bowl and mixed them up. Well, minus the baking powder, because guess who didn't have any? Me. They were flat pancakes topped lightly with real maple syrup. The babes LOVED them. Actually, they ate all of them.  There were like a dozen.

I decided to go ahead and do my grocery shopping. I got almost everything on my list and discovered a few things. Almost everything was in the organic section at Kroger Marketplace. They have a honey and peanut butter and almond butter tap. That's kind of awesome. All it is is honey (nothing added, from a local farmer), ground peanuts and ground almonds. I really like the containers they provide. It looks like what sour cream comes in except it is clear. They had little bears for honey but I decided to put my honey in the same kind. Maybe so I can spoon it better? I'm not sure if it will be easier but I'd like to see!

Something else I learned is that just because it's organic doesn't mean it's going to work for this challenge. What are the guidelines for organic anyway? All the stuff had refined sugar in it. How is that okay? Does it really matter if it's an organic refined sugar?

A lady my age saw me shopping and very shyly came up to me and asked about a few things in my cart. Of course, I didn't know the answer to them. I have come across this a few times in the past few years (making a choice to do something good like this or cloth diapers and having people see it and pick my brain). I decided then and there I was just going to humble myself. I told her about the HFFG challenge and what our plans are for our diet in the future and that I really didn't know much about this and that but I'm trying to figure it out along the way. She had some interesting things in her cart, too and I asked her about those, mostly almond milk. I've been tampering with the idea of just switching over to almond milk because I can't find goats milk. Turns out, she has twins (they were in the cart, probably 3 years old) and she was distressed because she nursed them for a year (WOW!) and her doctor made her put them on cow's milk, with which they had a lot of problems with. She researched and decided to switch to almond milk and they've done excellent since.

It's nice that you can start making small changes in your life and influence other people.

Have you ever had Golden Crisp cereal? It's one of my favorites and it is definitely on the no-no list. I found little puffs that don't have any thing else added. I think I am going to experiment baking the with honey and/or maple syrup to see if I can possibly make a healthier version of my favorite cereal. I also picked up little poof balls. I don't know what they are, I'll have to look. I have seen them in granola bars before, and I'm contemplating trying to do that.

I didn't get to eat until around 2 pm. It just wasn't in the cards for me. But when I did, I crashed afterwards! Is that normal for this kind of challenge? What's my body doing?

Something I have failed to mention is about meat. Meat is expensive and I don't think having it everyday is healthy. Tim craves meat a lot and so does Carson. We have spent most of the week going without meat. That was intentional BECAUSE all the frozen meat I have does have sugar added and like I said before, meat is expensive.  We decided to have meatless Monday's and then we decided that we should probably go half the week without meat (not days in a row, but every other day or MORE without meat). I'm not sure how to get iron and other nutrients that meat provides without it yet but I am going to figure it out. I do want to prepare more fish (is that meat???) but I don't want the mercury to become a problem(is that even truly a problem?)


Breakfast: flat pancakes
Lunch:fruit/vegetables (we were on the go)
Dinner: Potatoes, onion, Mushroom Bake, Meatballs, and something else I can't recall
Snack: sliced apples, shake, yogurt w/granola, nuts, kale chips

No comments: